Thursday, January 1, 2009

Update on me

I'm having issues with my photo-sharing website (slow to load, apparently I'm not the only one that decided to order prints from 'last year' on my day off) and I thought I'd do a different update. 

So, I've hit a major milestone and I realized I haven't updated my stats since after giving birth. I'm super proud of myself. 

I'm back to below my pre-pg weight! I'm currently back in most of my pre-pregnancy clothing, I weigh less than before I got pregnant and I'm still nursing. Since having Jenna, my diet has drastically changed. I've never been one to "diet" because I just enjoy 'real' food too much. I try to avoid margarine, artificial sweeteners and the like. Anyway, since having Jenna and looking at both Nick and I's family histories (diabetes and heart disease) I wanted to start eating more appropriately as a family. So, nutritious home cooked meals more frequently. 

I knew it would be a challenge especially going back to work. BUT because I go feed Jenna at lunch, I really can't go out for lunch anymore. That means I have to prep something ahead of time and if I'm going to do that, it makes it easier to be healthy because I have to pre-plan to make it happen (I, for one, don't pre-plan to have 'comfort food'... that's a craving that pops up and I used to give in to at lunch ALL THE TIME). 

Speaking of pre-planning... I now have to grocery shop only once a week. Because it's much more difficult with Jenna, I plan our meals out for the week, write out a list and tackle it all in one day. No more running to the store for one meal. This helps out both for our food choices (again, I don't pre-plan food that's unhealthy) and our wallets. When I used to run to the store for one meal, I would somehow spend $30 on that ONE meal only to have a bunch of the rest of the food spoil. Now, I plan ahead, and use leftovers either for another meal or for lunch the next day. 

Does all this mean this system is "perfect" for me all the time? No. There is no such thing as perfect. I learned once I stopped striving for that not only was I happier, but more forgiving to myself. I buffer in about one meal a week to 'eat out'. That tends to be pizza, Los Panchos or something else easy to grab and yummy to eat. 

So, all in all, 6 months after Jenna arrived, my body is finally feeling back to "normal". I'm back in my clothes, I don't have digestive issues anymore (I thought they'd never go away!) and I'm feeling good. My only remaining issue is my bra size only comes in $70 bras. That, I hope will resolve itself in about 6 months when we stop nursing... but until then... 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

That is really impressive for having a 6 month old! You should post your meal plans : )

Meg said...

Congrats!

I agree! I want to see what you're eating.

janessa said...

OK ladies, please look to the right for 'general' ideas...

If I ever get organized enough, I'll figure out how to update it weekly... or maybe just do a weekly post?!?!

Grandma In Waiting said...

You are doing great. Your whole family will benefit N & J). Styaing out of the Grocery store saves $$$. If you are short or lacking something send the Hubby, you'll save $$!

Viva said...

congratulations! :)

janessa said...

bwahaha... the hubby results in higher grocery bills! He likes the 'luxuries!' Thanks for the tip, though... I may try if I just need one thing, though I haven't run into that problem lately.