Tuesday, April 22, 2008

So, apparently she's gotta come out.

Last night was our first 'Child birth' class. It was good. Poor Nick is so scared of the delivery and him passing out during the entire process. He's fearful of hospitals in general, well, hospitals, sterile environments with people running around in scrubs, needles, etc. I thought the prenatal visits were good for him because it was "breaking him in" for what's to come. Up until last visit. He got warm and wasn't feeling well while waiting for the last visit.

Anyway, last night was good. We went. He felt like a dork toting around a pillow and towel to the hospital. Luckily, we sighted a fellow future Dad carrying the same goods into the facility with his pregnant wife.

I actually learned a few new things last night, which was good. I couldn't imagine taking the abbreviated course (Friday night and all day Saturday) as 2 hours last night was plenty of information for my brain to take in. The class went by pretty quickly. I like this instructor much better than the other course instructor (we were stuck with her twice!).

The best part about this whole thing? We were encouraged to practice relaxation techniques in which I get as comfortable as I can and Nick is to do whatever it takes to help me relax. Last night, during the "exercise" in class, I got to close my eyes, do some deep breathing while Nick rubbed my shoulders.

Now, if only I can stay that relaxed as the contractions come on!

31 weeks, 1 day

6 comments:

Katie said...

beware... the one relaxation technique I HATED in class (sitting on the birthing ball) was the most comfortable in the moment. It's just one of the many things you think you can prepare for pre-baby. Go with the flow and you, Babe, and Nick will all do great!

Alison said...

FUN!!!

Kelly Marie said...

Are your classes at Kaiser Walnut Creek? Who is your instructor? I'm wondering if it is the same chick we had...

I didn't hate sitting on the birthing ball in class, but as Katie said, you can't even imagine what will truly be helpful to you when you're actually in labor. I didn't understand the birthing ball until it was not comfortable to sit anywhere else! So, just take in all the techniques, even if you think it seems silly.

Echloe said...

Sounds like fun. And I'm glad that you are getting some relaxation time. I'm sure that will be the most useful exercise come June.

littlemonkey said...

ooo... I love our exercise ball at home. When I just can't get comfortable on the couch, laying on the ground, sitting on the ground or standing, I turn to the ball. Nick was great, he grabbed it for me last night and I was able to do a back bend on it (um, something *like* a back bend)and it felt so good to have my pelvis just hang off the ball and my ribs finally got a chance to stretch out!

I don't remember the instructor's name (ah!) but she's got 2 grown boys and she's a midwife (she delivers babies at home, not at kaiser) She has short grey hair. Yes, it's at Kaiser Walnut Creek.

Anonymous said...

This is getting so exciting! I'm glad you had such a nice experience!