I hope to keep this series up, but since this is only the second installment... well, we'll just see if I'm able to keep it up...
Things I've learned thus far about being a Working Mom.
- There will be days that I sleep past the alarm, have no recollection of the alarm going off and I am able to get ready to leave in 30 minutes including feeding, changing and giving J her medicine, putting makeup on, turn the dryer on (as to avoid wrinkled clothing) getting dressed, packing food for lunch and packing my pump parts. However, that 30 minutes doesn't include a shower (um, and I forgot the deodorant... but I have a spare at work). Today was one of those days.
- "Doing the best I can" is a lot of freakin work.
- Every minute of every day is scheduled. If you ask me what I'm doing at 6:20 am, it's changing J's diaper. At 8:30pm, I'm washing bottles and pump paraphernalia. 3:40 (my favorite) picking Jenna up from Day Care. 5:40 am until 10:15 pm is scheduled... (hell, even the night is scheduled with her wake ups...)
- I'm sick of using the word 'tired'. I don't think I'm really tired anymore as much as I'm just used to not being rested.
- I actually still enjoy the night time feedings. She's so beautiful and peaceful. It's so quiet and un-rushed (unlike the rest of my time).
- Nick is so supportive. Having a husband that's super supportive is *so* key. I don't know what I'd do without him.
- There is no such thing as a clean house. Unless, of course, you're able to hire a housekeeper, which we're not. But, my Mom comes to visit and while Jenna's napping she cleans for us. (I could never figure out how to make that work). Thanks to her, the house gets a deep scrubbing once a month.
- I'm dreading Jenna crawling just because I'll have to vacuum much more frequently. And baby-proof.
- A pony tail is a cop-out and one I use quite frequently.
- Wearing my glasses serves 4 functions: 1) um, I can see at a distance better 2) hides the dark circles under my eyes from lack of sleep 3) If I don't have time to wear makeup, you can't tell as much with glasses on. 4) Any outfit automatically looks more professional when I put my glasses on.
- Decaf coffee doesn't wake me up, but it tastes good and aids in digestion. ;)
- I don't love work like I used to. My mind wanders easily, I get distracted with my ever growing to do list (work related) I can't focus on a single task. I'm still happy I'm working, but I'm wondering if the lack of focus is due to the lack of sleep or just a new "life". Work used to be my life... (there's an old blog post about it, but I can't find it... ) Now, work is merely a part of my life. It's a weird dynamic for a Type A, self proclaimed work-aholic...