Sunday, September 30, 2007

Today, I'm calm.


I can't believe how my mood changes. I go 0 to frantic 'un-pregnant' woman in as little as 4 seconds flat. But today, today, I'm calm. If it happens, great, that's our goal. If it doesn't, ok, we've got time. Weird. I think what really has allowed me to calm down, at least for today, is that we got word about a puppy.

Now, let me tell you abou the puppy. My husband and I have been together for nine and a half years. That, my friends, is a long time. It's amazing to write that. I really look back on it as though we met and married yesterday. But that's not what this blog is about. When we first started dating, we would take his parents dog for a walk, every afternoon, for just under 2-ish years. In the beginning walks, we discussed marriage, children and, dogs. We laid out plans for our 'future life'. In fact, we still do that. I'm sure this is normal (at least that's what I tell myself), and I enjoy it. In any case, we discussed our dog breed choices. It's been the same for those 9.5 years: we wanted a great dane. We moved into a (rented) house, and made sure we could have dogs in this house, to allow us a small piece of our 'future life'. We wanted to turn it into our 'present life'.


Well, we got word. After about 6 months of searching, the breeder that we've chosen has sent us an email stating that the dog has come into heat, and they're waiting on her progesterone levels to come up signaling she's ovulating. When my husband told me this... I yelled "THAT'S WHAT WE'RE DOING!" It's actually pretty funny. I think the dog might have a better shot at getting pregnant before I do. And I'm ok with that. If all goes well, the pups will be born in between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and they won't be able to come home with us until 12 weeks. This is late for puppies, but I trust this breeder, and I know that it's the best thing for the puppy. I'm excited to go for walks with the dog, pregnant, and with child. (Obviously, I'm not going to walk the dog and the baby at the same time without my hubster with me).

In any case, calm, quiet, and collected. Life is coming together. We're living our 'future life'. I love my husband so dearly, and it's amazing to see so many things unfold. I know our life is going to change drastically, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure there are many people out there that wouldn't advise us getting a puppy within a year of us having a child, but this works for us. I can't wait, I'm so excited to add the 2 new additions to our family. Ah, THAT word, family, makes my heart flutter.

I'm off to enjoy my calm Sunday. At least while it lasts. :)

No comments: